Sunday, January 23, 2011

IC HOMEMADE CREAMED SOUP SAUCES-UPDATEED


When I had finally got a grip on cooking for diabetes I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis or IC as I call it for short.
Most of the recipes I researched for IC had a lot of fat in them.  That was not an option with Diabetes and avoiding complications.
This meant that I had to start all over again creating recipes.
I created this blog to record my adventure in creating YUMMY recipes that meat the restrictions of Diabetes, IC, and keeping my weight at a reasonable limit.
One of the first things you start doing is reading labels.  Anything with more than 5 ingredients to me is a warning.
To make economic dishes and get the required amount of carbohydrates , I made a lot of casseroles with soup as the main base.
Even the Healthy Request and some of the other brands had ingredients I could not pronounce and were on my FOOD LIST as avoid.
So my venture to come up with some homemade versions was on.  I had tried the basic ones but found out they did not have the flavor that I was looking for.





CREAM OF CELERY, CHICKEN, MUSHROOMS SAUCE
Use as 10 oz can soup

Celery Sauce
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/8 teaspoon celery seed

Chicken Sauce
1/4 cup chopped chicken breast
1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon paste (Organic or Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base). See Bouillon Alternative  NOTE:


Mushroom Sauce
1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms or 1/4 cup dehydrated mushrooms chopped
pinch of celery seed



The Soup Sauce
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 Tablespoon butter or margarine 
1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic
salt to taste I use about 1/8 teaspoon
1 1/2 cups 1% or non-fat milk (see Note)
3 Tablespoons flour
1/2-1 Tablespoon Kraft 100% Parmesan & Romano grated cheese with no fillers 
Cooking spray

1. Saute onion, celery or mushrooms in a pan that has been generously sprayed with cooking spray on med-low heat until onion is transparent.
2.  Meanwhile in a Quick Shaker or jar with a lid add your 1 1/2 cup milk, 3 tablespoons of flour and spices.  Shake till completely blended.
3.  Pour this into your sauted vegetables.
If making Chicken sauce add your chopped chicken at this time
4.  Cook and stir over medium heat until sauce thickens.
5.  When the sauce has thickened, remove from heat and add the Parmesan Romano cheese.
Use as you would any can of mushroom soup.


NOTE: substitution 1 1/2 cup water & 2/3 cups instant dry milk powder.
Bouillon Alternative NOTE: You can substitute chicken broth and 2/3 cup of dry milk powder in place of bouillon.




1 comment:

Donna said...

That's a great idea Nana! My daughter-in-law would probably love this recipe. The grandsons have severe allergies to just about everything. I'm trying to eat healthier too...nothing from a box or can is my goal. Great job handling the health situation. It's not easy changing eating habits, but sometimes, you just have to!

Thanks for the sweet comments today. :o) Yes, I'm a S.H.E. That was the first book I ever read on homemaking. :o) It got me started in the right direction.

xo
Donna