1 Tablespoon softened butter
1/2 Tablespoon softened baking margarine
1/2 cup of Sugar
1/4 cup Splenda
2 egg whites
2 small ripe bananas mashed
2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup unbleached flour
3 Tablespoons quick oats
2 Tablespoons golden flax seed meal
1 Tablespoon raw wheat bran
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup of chopped Almonds or nuts you tolerance (optional)
dash of salt
1. Spray an 8X8 baking dish with butter flavored cooking spray.
2. In medium bowl, with a pastry blender, blend the sugar, butter, and margarine until it resembles small crumbles
3. Add the egg whites to the sugar mixture and blend with a whisk until throughly blended.
4. Add the unsweetened applesauce, and mashed bananas to the sugar and egg white mixture and mix well.
5. In small bowl add the flour, oats, flax seed meal, raw wheat bran, baking soda and salt. Blend slightly.
6. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture until just blended.
7. Pour into the prepared 8X8 baking dish.
8. Bake at 350 degrees 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
NOTE: I calculate my recipes with even numbers because they are easier to cut into even servings.
9. Remove from oven and place on rack and let cool completely, Cut into 8 pieces.
1 serving without nuts=142 calories, 2 grams of fat, 24 grams of carbohydrates, 2 fibers.
Diabetics can subtract the fiber from the carbohydrates.
NANA'S CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
8 oz. container of 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese room temperature (I prefer the Philadelphia Brand to be the best of all I have used).
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup of cool whip light
1/2 cup Splenda
1. In medium bowl, soften the cream cheese with a spoon.
2. Add the vanilla and Splenda, mix well until Splenda is dissolved
3. Add the cool whip light and carefully blend into the cream cheese mixture. Do not over mix.
4. If you are going to serve the entire recipe, spread the frosting over the banana bars.
5. If you are going to serve part of the bars, spread 2 Tablespoons over each bar. Make sure to refrigerate the rest of the frosting until you are ready to serve the remaining bars.
2 Tablespoons of Frosting=45 calories, 3 grams fat, 2 grams of carbohydrates
You can substitute whole wheat flour for the raw wheat bran if you do not have bran. Pastry Whole Wheat flour is the best to use if you can obtain it.
Bananas may no longer be on your restricted IC diet. Check out this ARTICLE.
This is the original RECIPE.