Thursday, November 28, 2013

ROY SR'S TURKEY DRESSING

One of our favorite family dishes was Grandpa Roy Sr's turkey dressing.  I loved it that he made our dressing.  I was kind of like the old lady above, and prefered someone else make the dressing when I was younger.
After a few years, my oldest daughter wanted the recipe of Grandpa's dressing.  He told us he had no recipe. He said he had it in his head and used a little of this and a little of that.   So as Grandpa Ledford made the dressing, my daughter wrote down what he put in it.  Roy Sr. has been in heaven now for 15 years. We have enjoyed eating Grandpa's dressing every holiday meal.
This year I did have to make my own dressing.  It was well worth it.  My honey Roy Jr. has the turkey all cut and the dressing in the dishes.
My honey has his plate filled and will be heading to his chair to indulge.

Now my plate is full.  See my old refurbished 50's stove.  I just love this stove.  This is the first time I cooked a turkey in it.  I usually made all the extras when with family.  It cooked my turkey beautifully. 

ROY LEDFORD SR'S STUFFING
2 bags of Seasoned Stuffing Cubes
4 stalks of celery, diced
4 large carrots, diced
1 granny smith apple, diced
1 red apple, diced
1 cup black raisins
1 (15 oz) can black olives drained and sliced
6 eggs, slightly beaten
giblets or turkey leg or thigh cooked and diced
1 large purple onion
salt and pepper to taste
poultry seasoning if you prefer more
Broth from cooked giblets and turkey parts to moisten.
Prepare the vegetables and fruit.  Pour in very oversized bowl.  Add all the rest of the ingredients and stir. Add enough of the broth to moisten but not make soggy.  Stuff your turkey.  If you prefer you can put in pans and bake at 350 degrees till cooked through.  If baking you may want to add more broth so that the dressing is not too dry.  ENJOY 

Hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving Day
Nana

1 comment:

Carrie said...

YUMMY! That was some great stuffing! Now that I'm making my husbands family stuffing - Mom Bleau's (Great Grandma Corey's Portuguese Stuffing) I miss making Grandpa's. One of these years I will have the Thanksgiving meal so organized that I will be able to have both stuffings! I bet it tasted really good! Happy Thanksgiving mom and dad! We sure wish we could have been there! Cassie was saying before we sat down to eat, "Wait mom, there are more people coming." I said, "No honey, its just us, we are all here." She said, "No, Nana and Papa are coming!" "Ah, I wish honey, but they live too far and it has already snowed there so they are not able to come." I thought that was so sweet. She really was disappointed you both were not going to make it this year. She loves you both so much! She considers you part of our family and expects you to be here for all family holiday activities!!!!!