Thursday, March 27, 2014

BAKING MY OWN BIRTHDAY CAKE

 photo 013_zps5d4628c9.jpg
Today I decided to make my own Birthday chocolate cake. The cakes you can buy are so full of sugar and as a diabetic, I like to cut out as much sugar as I can and still celebrate. I am using a recipe given to me by my mother-in-love Kitty. The family calls it GRANDMA'S CHOCOLATE CAKE. It is an eggless cake. Some call this the vinegar chocolate cake. The recipe will be at the bottom. 
 How do you like the old bread box and canister? I got them at an antique place in California on a visit there. They are just like my Grandma Wheeler's that I saw in a picture of her kitchen. I searched and searched for them. You should have seen me the day I found them. I did a happy dance. ANYWAY-lets get started.
 photo 028_zpsd2127ffa.jpg 
Assemble all your ingredients. I use half splenda and half sugar and the cake still turns out good. Plus I feel I can put an icing on it for celebrations that way.
 photo 036_zpsf17e573c.jpg 
Grandma Kitty gave me this pan when she decided that we could bake the cake instead of her. She made the cake right in the pan. She put the dry ingredients in and made a opening in the center and added the wet.
 photo 033_zps72891c01.jpg
I like to make it in a bowl. That way I get to use my antique red pyrex bowl. Plus an added bonus I will tell you at the end.
 photo 038_zps7227e8d7.jpg
Have you guessed the added bonus yet. Yes I get to lick the bowl. YUMMY!!!
 photo 047_zpsc959604a.jpg 
While the cake bakes, my dogs decides to take a nap in front of the wood stove.
 photo 053_zps41557abd.jpg 
CAKE IS DONE. I just love this 1950's stove. Of course I like antiques. When the gas man came to light it, when we moved in, he was worried I could tell. I let him look and he was so grateful we had had it refurbished with safety features.
 photo 026_zpsc6415c83.jpg 
Now for the icing.
 photo 012_zps853b80f1.jpg
It is a quick cooked icing that has half sugar and half Splenda in it. 

RECIPES 

GRANDMA'S CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
1 cup sugar OR 1/2 cup sugar & 1/2 cup Splenda 
3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder like Hershey's 
1/2 teaspoons salt 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
6 Tablespoons melted butter 
1 t vanilla 
1 Tablespoon vinegar 
1 cup cold water.

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients in bowl. Melt butter in micorwave or on stove. Measure your 1 cup water. Add the melted butter, vanilla and vinegar to the water. Add this to the dry ingredinets and stir till all is blended. Does not have to be beaten a lot like a cake mix. Pour into prepared baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees till it springs back in middle or toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
 photo CAKE2_zpsfdfbb076.jpg 
The GLOSSY CHOCOLATE FROSTING is a Taste of Home recipe you can get HERE

I hope you enjoy GRANDMA'S CHOCOLATE CAKE!!








No comments: