Friday, July 10, 2015

VEGETARIAN TAMALE PIE

I am Experimenting with vegetarian meals, as a result of my husband's kidney stones.  

My husband has problems with uric acid in his system.  One of the ways to cut it down is to eat no more than 6 oz. of meat a day.  My dear hubby is a meat lover, so recipes have to pass his taste test. I do not know about your husband but good food makes mine a happy man :)

Here is my Recipes criteria;

The recipes have to contain ingredients from my pantry.  Some vegetarian recipes I have looked into contain ingredients that I do not even recognize.

The recipes have to be favorable or as I say yummy.

On our budget the recipe must be frugal.



This particular vegetarian dish turned out to be very yummy.  It also put a smile on hubbys face. He did not even miss the meat.  

It was filling and had a good mexican flavor without any heat to it.  My hubby can handle more spicy heat.  Being raised in the midwest I, on the other hand, can only handle a little spice. We both give it a thumbs up.  





RECIPE
Filling
1 1/2 Large onion, chopped
2 medium diced carrots (I chopped them in a food processor).
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
Canola Baking Spray
1 3/4 cup frozen corn (1 can drained would work also)
2 cups cooked pinto beans
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 Tablespoon cumin
1/2 Tablespoon chili powder
1 cup mexican-fiesta cheese. (2% mexican-fiesta cheese).

Corn Bread Topping
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal
2 Tablespoon sugar (you could use Splenda if prefered)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Preheat 350 degrees.  In large non-stick skillet spray baking spray.  Add 2 tablespoons oil.  On medium heat Saute' the onion and carrots till tender.  Add corn, pinto beans, and tomato sauce.  Making sure everything is heated through.  Add spice and chili powder and combine.
Add half the filling to a 8X8 sprayed baking dish. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over the top.  Spread the remaining filling evenly over the first 2 layers, then spread another 1/2 cup cheese evenly over the top.

In medium bowl combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  In small bowl add egg, milk and vegetable oil and mix well.  Add wet mixture to dry and stir till just blended.

Evenly spread mixture over the top of the filling.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and golden brown or a till a toothpick comes out clean in corn bread mixture.  Set on rack to rest for 5 minutes. Cut into 8 servings.

I took a pastry brush and lightly spread a small amount of butter over the top before cutting and serving.

209 calories-6 gr. fiber,-41 gms Carbs,-1.3 fat,-23 mg cholesterol,-  (I am not a nutritionist so the amount of calories is calculated by googling the ingredients and getting the count for each one and dividing by 8).

Please feel free to share any yummy vegetarian recipes you find yummy that are frugal.

Signing off Nana




No comments: