Monday, December 28, 2015

USING INGREDIENTS YOU HAVE


The Holidays have a lot of us low on funds. In the month of December I try to buy as little as possible in the grocery department. I use the extra savings for gifts for my family.
At the end of the Holidays  a recipe may call for an ingredient that I do not have. Therefore I go to my pantry and see what I can substitute for it. 
 photo IMG_5308_zps494zmpdf.jpg
The recipe for the Chicken Noodle Soup said 1 1/2 cups (8 oz.)diced cooked chicken breast. I no longer had any chicken breast but I did have some cooked diced chicken thigh meat. I also did not have the required amount. Over the last year I have been using about half or less than the recipe called for. This has cut the calories considerably.
 photo IMG_5315_zpsabx1aps2.jpg
The recipe called for 2 cans 16 ounce chicken broth. I only had one can of 14 ounce. There was a box of beef broth in my pantry so I just added 18 ounces of this to the recipe.
 photo onion_zpskk8cks2c.jpg
I had the celery and carrots but had only one onion. Since I may need some of the onion in another recipe I used half of it and added about 1 1/2 Tablespoons dry onions instead.
 photo IMG_5309_zpsezjqrcw4.jpg
The directions said to combine the chicken broth, celery, carrots, and onion and bring mixture to a boil. I did this only with the chicken broth to give the vegetables a little more chicken flavor. Later I added the beef broth and brought it just to a boil. I then added the corn and noodles as the original recipe called for.

 photo IMG_5318_zpswxfehw9s.jpg
The soup was delicious and hubby thought so too. This soup could be served with biscuits, cornbread, or even cheese and crackers
The original recipe will be posted below.


IOWA CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

4 cups (two 16-ounce cans Chicken Broth
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 2/2 cups (8oz.) diced cooked chicken breast
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
Scant 1 cup (1 1/2 ounces) uncooked medium noodles

In large saucepan, combine chicken broth, celery, carrots, and onion. Bring mixture to a boil. Stir in chicken, parsley flakes, and black pepper and salt. Add corn and noodles. Mix well to combine. Bring mixture to a boil again Lower heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until noodles and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

174 calories, 2 gm Fat, 23 gm Protein, 16 gm Carbohydrate, 2 gm Fiber

Diabetic: 2 Meat, 1 Starch, 1 Free Vegetable

The above calculations are not for the substitutions that I made. The calculations are only for the original recipe.

No comments: